Friday, October 7, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #20 "They Look Like People"

I've been hearing about this movie for months now.  People have been raving about it and how it's so great, which usually means I might not like a movie, plus the description says it is confusing and messes with your head, which sometimes translates to "it's dumber than shit and makes no fucking sense," so I approached this one with caution.

First, I have to say that this is the best movie I've watched this year, and it might be one of the best I've ever watched.  It's THAT good.  Second, though this movie is said to defy genre, and though it's listed as a "mystery/thriller," this is a horror movie.  It horrified me on levels I probably won't realize until I go to sleep and dream about it all night.

Third, though I loved this movie, I can see people thinking it was boring.  It's a very quiet movie that touches on a lot of themes without actually saying them out loud, and for every person like me who was enthralled with the movie "Buried," there's plenty who thought it was a boring movie about Ryan Reynolds lying in a box for an hour and a half.  Like that movie, this one isn't for everyone, and that's OK.

I don't even want to give a description of the plot.  I feel like that would ruin it.  A man visiting his friend in New York starts getting weird, threatening phone calls.  That's all I'll say.  Maybe it's because I have anxiety, but lying awake in the dark waiting for the shadows to move freaks me out, so a movie like this one that uses such fear to its advantage can really get under my skin.

Great, I just heard a noise in the dark behind me.  This is going to be a fun night! I got this movie out of the deal, so it's worth it to me. This movie so thoroughly messed with my head that I sat through all of the end credits because I didn't trust the filmmakers not to throw something else at me ( haven't I suffered enough? Never!) Give this movie a chance.  I hope it creeps you out as much as it did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment