Wednesday, October 26, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #71: "Almost Mercy"


I don't know what to think about this movie. The description sounds great, and it has some good reviews mixed in with the bad ones, it has some actors I like, good times, right? But then there are some bad ones, like it looks really low budget, and there are a lot of bad reviews out there, and Netflix predicts I'll only give it one star, so I'm cautiously optimistic here.

The movie is about childhood friends who endure years of bullying and abuse until one of them snaps. Gotta love kids and their unending capacity for cruelty, right? The movie is narrated by the girl who grew up best friends with the boy who goes crazy. I like her. She's angry and bitter, but also snarky and sarcastic, and I can relate to her anger at the unfairness of the world.

We don't know exactly what happens when the movie starts, she's going back in time and telling the story of their friendship and what led up to whatever horrible things happen later in their lives. It is kind of sad seeing them grow up and knowing something horrible is going to happen.

Actually, the whole movie is one horrible thing after another happening to these kids, so it's sad. And the movie has kind of a detached tone, making out like the whole thing is supposed to be funny, which renders it annoying instead. I want to care about the characters, but the movie doesn't seem to want me to.

It seriously takes FOREVER for the movie to get to the point, and it seems to be heading in a direction that angers me, but then it takes a turn, and things get better. I felt like the movie finally paid off on my interest after trying to make me hate it for so long. It gets gory and nasty and mean-spirited, and I love it. The movie takes way too long to get to this point, in my opinion, but I wound up being glad I gave it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment