Tuesday, October 11, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #34: "What We Become"


After a disappointing movie watching experience, I tend to get really crabby and not want to watch movies anymore. Half the challenge in this horror movie watching challenge is getting past my apathy. I decided to check this out because it got good reviews and I hoped for the best.

This movie starts off well with a brief suspenseful intro that catches the attention and draws me in. It drags a bit after that taking an inordinate amount of time to set up the plot, but it's pretty consistently tense once it gets going. There are lots of creepy scenes and I feel bad for the characters and the situation they find themselves in. Watching a lived one become a disgusting creature is freaky, and trying to survive without being turned yourself is a sobering thought.

This movie feeds a lot in paranoia, mistrust of the government, fear of the unknown, and the strength of family ties that bind (and sometimes gag). I grew to like the main characters, so I felt bad for their plight. The fear of catching a deadly virus like the ones in most zombie movies  is effective, plus the fear of not really knowing what's going on or how the sickness is spread makes everything worse. I felt for the poor people falling apart under the weight of all this.

"What We Become" is a good name for a zombie movie. This is what we become when we die, this is what we become when martial law takes over, this is what we become when we gave to do anything we can to survive. This is definitely depressing, but it's a good movie just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment