Sunday, October 30, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #94: "Don't Look in the Basement"


This is one of movies I've been meaning to see for years. It's well known among horror fans (or fans of undergraduate horror, at least) for being sleazy, gory fun. I like sleazy gory fun, so I figured I'd enjoy this, but I haven't gotten around to it for years and years. What can I say, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects. I'm watching it tonight though. I hope it's fun as it's supposed to be.

The movie is about an asylum for the insane that's run by a benevolent doctor who hires a new nurse when the old one retires. When the new nurse arrives, she finds that the doctor she knew has died and a new director us in charge. There seem to be a lot of secrets hiding among the patients and staff, and the new nurse is about to uncover a bloody, dangerous secret.

The hospital is kinda unorthodox. I don't know of many doctors who let crazy people use axes as part of their therapy (it seems counterintuitive, and as we see here, it's a very bad idea). The movie is ultra low budget, but still kind of fun. Of course, the fire is pretty fake looking, but the acting is better than I'd expect from a movie like this. Bonus. It does drag a bit, but when it's good, it's a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment