Thursday, October 13, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #39: "Hellboy"


I first saw this movie when it was in theaters. I was watching it with a friend, and I'd told him he could pick whatever movie he wanted, and then he picked this, and I was like "oh great, I'm going to die of boredom for two hours." I don't know what the hell I thought this movie was going to be (I think I was expecting something like "Little Nicky") but there were two things I didn't know about this movie that would have made me much more excited to see it.  First, it's based on a comic book.  Second, it's directed by  Guillermo del Toro.

The first twenty minutes of this movie had me on the edge of my seat, and I was hooked from there. It's about a little half human half devil creature who escapes through a portal to hell and is found by a professor working for the government who raises the little guy like a son. Now grown many years later, the half devil guy works for a branch of the FBI that handles paranormal activity (which is all kept top secret so the public doesn't find out that these monsters exist).

Sound like fun? It is, it really is. I was laughing my head off throughout the movie, which is fun for me since I dislike so much that is considered "comedy." One scene had me laughing so hard I couldn't stop for like, ten minutes, and it was really embarrassing. There's a lot of heart here, too. I teared up more than once. To this day, this movie remains one of the things in my life I am happiest to have been wrong about. I could watch it again and again and not get tired of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment