Wednesday, October 12, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #35: "The Secrets of Emily Blair"



This is one of those times I can't tell whether Netflix is mocking me or not. They keep throwing this movie at me as a recommendation, but they predicted I'll only give it two stars ( thanks guys) so I don't know if I'll like it.  Live on the wild side, I guess.

It's clear that this is a low-budget budget movie, but the acting isn't too bad, and it's about a woman who is possessed by a demon, so it's right up my alley.  The story here is that Emily, cute well-liked nurse, gas a close encounter of the evil kind, and ends up possessed by demonic forces. She spirals down pretty fast, and soon only her fiancé and his Priest can hope to save her.

I really like Emily, the lead character, and herfiancé is a nice guy too.  I feel bad for them, not knowing what is happening as evil slowly takes over their lives. The demonic action in the movie is creepy as always, and like I said, the acting is good for a low-budget flick, so that helps.

As with a lot of movies like this, it takes way too long for everyone to figure out what's going on, but I guess "it's totally demons" isn't at the top of anyone's list when things get weird. It might be the first thing I think of, but I watch over a hundred of these movies a year, so that affects my judgement I'm sure.

What's up with her fiancé immediately jumping to the conclusion that she's doing this to get out of the engagement, though? Yeah, everyone always starts acting like they're possessed when they have cold feet.  Weirdo. At least the Priest seems more on top of things. Of course, he doesn't think it's demons either at first.  Dude, if anyone should realize there's something evil at work here, it's your dumb ass.  This is your whole job!

Once everyone's on the same page, though it takes way longer than I would like, the demon fight is underway. I like exorcism movies, they creep me out, and even though there is some silliness involved, I dug this one too. It was an OK way to kill an hour and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment