Tuesday, October 4, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #11: "The Exorcism of Molly Hartley"



I was one if the few who seemed to like the movie "The Haunting of Molly Hartley," a movie about a teenage girl who had to decide whether to fight or give in to evil.  It reminded me a little if "Damien: The Omen II," which is another movie I really liked.

 I figured this might be an "in name only" sequel, which happens a lot-a low budget horror flick is picked up by a major releasing company, only to be slapped with a title naming it as a sequel to a more well-known movie, which is the only way some of these movies can get released...think of "Open Water 2: Adrift" which was really a low budget movie called "Adrift" that a studio bought and released hoping to cash in on the name recognition of the first movie.  I understand sometimes that's the only way these movies can get the chance to be seen, but sometimes I wish the smaller horror movies could be given a chance to stand alone without having to live up to a more well-known movie.

Thus does actually seem to have been intended as a sequel to the first movie, though, not just an unrelated movie slapped with a sequel title in order to cash in.  In this movie, the Molly from the first movie is grown up and having problems coping with all the demons that seem to have taken up residence in her head.  They do some very antisocial things and she winds up in an institution, where a disgraced priest may be her only hope.

I saw the PG-13 rated version of this movie first before watching this versio, which is unrated.  There's not much of a difference, except for some gratuitous nudity thrown in for no reason at the beginning of the movie. I don't really mind nudity, but it really serves no purpose in this movie, so it did kind of irritate me ( gotta earn that "unrated" label somehow I suppose). The creepy demonic activity is pretty well done for a low budget movi, though, and the acting isn't bad here either.

As I've said before, I like exorcism movies in general. The idea of Satan or other demons possessing a person creeps me out, so I tend to like these movies even if they're bad.  This one isn't horrible, per se, just cheesy and every scene seems to have been stolen from other better movies.  It was an OK way to kill an hour and a half, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment