Monday, October 3, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #3: "The Killer Shrews"



This is one of those movies I've been wanting to see since I was a kid.  Back then, I didn't even really care if movies were good, if they were horror, I wanted to see them.  This is proven by my love of the terrible movie "Jason Takes Manhattan" when I got to sneak around and watch it when I was 10.  Actually, I probably could have gotten my mom to let me watch "The Killer Shrews" if I'd tried, since it is older and black and white, and my mom didn't mind as much if we saw classic horror.  Note to self: should have tried harder.

So I finally got to see this movie today.  What was the verdict? It's got the same basic plot as all these "nature run amok" movies: a scientist accidentally creates giant killer shrews that start showing down on all the animals on the island. His daughter later leads a crew who sail out to the island to continue her father's work.

The main woman in this movie is kind of an asshole, in that she doesn't bother to warn anyone on her crew that they might get eaten by killer shrews until they're on the island wondering why the crew members keep disappearing.  Of course, the dashing young male scientist is the Geri here, though he doesn't seem to care much if people get eaten either, as long as it's not him.  This movie is silly but still kind of run.  I'm glad I finally got to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment