Thursday, October 27, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #78: "The Canal"



I've been looking forward to seeing this movie since last year. It's one of the movies that I didn't get to see in my challenge last year, and then of course people started saying great things about it afterward, making me regret choosing one of the crappier movies I saw last year over this one, which is apparently so good. Not making that same mistake this time around!

So this movie is about a family that moves into a creepy house by a canal, ignoring the rumors that it is haunted, but soon the husband begins to have vivid dreams that his wife is cheating on him, and he starts to go insane. I don't know why people would ignore rumors that the house they're about to move into is haunted. It never seems to end well. Especially after creepy things keep happening, really people? Yes, let's believe the evil visions um having instead of my wife. Sigh.

I do like this family to start out. The little boy is cute and the mom and dad seem to be nice enough, but I was leery because movies where one character starts to descend into madness really get under my skin and freak me out. I'm really torn with this movie. On the one hand, I totally get that supernatural forces are taking over and messing with your mind, on the other hand, you're being creepy and evil and stuff, so it's hard for me to be sympathetic.

It's hard to be sympathetic for any of the characters, actually, as more gets revealed and things get more twisted. I feel bad for the poor little kid who's in the middle of this whole huge mess. He at least is innocent and doesn't deserve to have all this awful, scary crap piled on his plate. This movie is frustrating and makes me angry, but it's also dark and moody and pretty well done, so I'm glad I checked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment