Monday, October 17, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #50: "Hellions"



I don't know what to think about this movie. The premise sounds great, the poster is awesome, the opening sequence was cool, and yet Netflix keeps saying they think I'll only give it one star. What gives? Is there something everyone else knows that I'm not privy to? I really hope not, so I give this movie a chance anyway.

The movie is about a teenage girl planning a romantic Halloween night with her boyfriend (my kind of girl, I love Halloween too, as you all know) but there are some kids hanging around who are interested in something a lot more terrifying than candy. Kids are great at being cute, but they're even better at being creepy, so horror movies involving kids tend to work for me even if they're bad.

The acting in this movie is a lot better than I expected it to be. I actually cared about the main character and her dilemma. Poor kid. Being 17 sucks. Plus the evil little kids are so creepy in their costumes. I want to have kids so I can dress them like these evil bastards. Hearing kids knock and say "trick or treat" has never seen scarier, I swear. And this is the second horror movie I've watched today that uses the song "Silent Night" and makes it scary! Good work, guys.

The movie gets more disorienting as it moves along, which works because I think that's what would happen to the perception of a person thrown into a situation like this. Some of the later plot twists remind me if a book by Christopher Pike that creeped me out as a kid. Not like it was a ripoff, just like a creepy feeling that felt eerily familiar. I dug it. This movie is a scary good time. Screw what Netflix thinks. One star my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment