Wednesday, October 12, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #37: "Bleed"


After giving myself permanent psychological damage with the last movie I watched, I decided to check this one out. This was one of the movies I was excited to check out this year, even though it got some low ratings, because the plot sounded good to me and there was just something about the movie poster that drew me in and made me want to know more.

The plot sounds pretty standard: a young couple from the suburbs who are expecting their first child moves to the country for the first time, invites some friends over to celebrate, and they decide to go to a creepy, abandoned prison to try and summon ghosts. Dude, what the actual fuck is wrong with people? At what point does this idiotic plan seem like a good idea? I'm having a hard time thinking of anything I'd want to do LESS at 8 months pregnant than run around a creepy building trying to summon ghosts.  I realize that people in these movies have to be stupid in order to move the plot along, but this stretches believability even for me.

The intro of this movie tells me that things go deeper here than just some pissed off ghosts, and the acting is actually a lot better than I tend to expect from movies like this, so I can set aside how dumb they acted since they actually have the acting chops to make me believe their performances.

And as the movie goes along it gets better for me. This isn't anything I haven't seen before, but it's creepy enough, and the characters are actually pretty interesting and have some quirks that kept my attention. I grew up in small towns but this movie definitely makes living In a big city look like a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment