Saturday, October 22, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #61: "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"


The first time I saw this movie, I was on Christmas break in college, and I decided to rent this movie, which I'd wanted to see since I was a kid, but didn't want any of my ultra conservative friends to know I was watching it. I cared about such things back in the day. So I rented this movie and watched it, and I was in such shock that I sat awake staring at the TV screen even long after it had ended. I hadn't expected it to affect me like that.

So this movie has been around awhile, so you should all know what it's about, but I'll give a little recap here. A van full of teens, including a young woman and her handicapped brother, are in a road trip when their van breaks down and they go for help, only to stumble on a house of horror. Soon they're getting slices and diced and who knows if they'll manage to escape? Creepy!

Part of what git to me so much about this movie is how unrelenting it is. In most horror movies, the killer is stalking someone for a few minutes, then boom! That person gets killed and it's onto the next victim. In this movie, one character is stalked over and over, captured then escapes then us captured then runs away, bloodied but alive, and it's just worse and worse and worse until I was wishing for the character to just die and put an end to it. Even now after all these years, the movie still unnerves me, and I will always respect it for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment