Wednesday, October 12, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #38: "The Hallow"


This movie has been gettingsone rave reviews, so I've been wanting to see it for a long time, and it's been hard to wait until October to make it a part of my horror fest this year.

The movie is about a family that moves into a house in the remote Irish countryside and discover something evil there.  These movies make moving seem even more horrific than it already is, I swear. As if packing and unpacking all your stuff weren't enough of an ordeal.

There seems to be something more unique going on here than your average pissed off ghosts. The main character is a scientist sent to study the trees that surround his house, and the locals don't like it and keep warning him about something in the woods that doesn't want him trespassing on their land.

There are ties to ancient folklore here that are woven subtly into the story, and though it annoys me that it takes so long for the guy to get wise about what's happening, he IS a scientist, so I guess it's hard for him to accept that anything otherworldly might be happening. The acting is good and the story has a creeping sense of dread that I thought was very well done. All in all, it's a creepy, gruesome movie that makes me want to move as far away from the woods as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment