Wednesday, October 28, 2015

2015 October Horror Challenge #80 "Mr. Jones"



Perhaps this is all my fault.  I mean, netflix has been recommending this movie to me for months now, but they did only give it one star, so it's like they were telling me to watch it while also warning me that I wouldn't like it.  Strange, netflix. And it's not that this movie is completely horrible either. There's a lot of potential here.  It's too bad the filmmakers decided to take a bunch of drugs instead of making a good movie.

I'm getting ahead of myself here. First, let me tell you about this movie.  It's about a husband and wife who decide to move to the wilderness for a year in order to make a docementary film.  "Walden" for our generation, or something like that.  Too bad they really didn't think things through, and over a month later, their film hasn't really taken shape, nothing good has happened, and they're fighting about everything.  That's when they discover that their reclusive neighbor is a famous artist known for his creepy sculptures.  They decide to focus the documentary on him, but then things get stranger and stranger until they're terrified.  What's going on?  Can they stop it?

That's the central problem I have with this movie.  It never satisfactorily explains what's gojng on.  Yeah yeah, there's some mumbo jumbo at the end about who Mr. Jones really was, but that's not a real explanation, that's what happens when you take too much meth instead of finishing your movie.  I can't really say more without giving too much away, but suffice it to say I'm unsatisfied with how the movie chooses to conclude it's story, and it gave me a headache.

The thing is, this movie has a lot of potential.  The acting is good, there's a lot of creepy imagery, the idea is interesting.  They had all the components of a good movie here, then I don't know what happened.  I was convinced I must have missed something that makes the whole movie make sense, so I went online and read a detailed plot summary, only to find that NOPE I understood it perfectly, it just didn't make sense.  OK then.  There are a few reviewers who insist that the movie is brilliant and people like me are just too stupid to get it, so if you check it out, maybe you'll love it, who knows.  I need to take some headache medicine though, and I am not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment