Friday, October 9, 2015

2015 October Horror Challenge #27 "Apartment 1303"



I didn't really know what to think of this movie.  It doesn't have a very high rating, like one or two stars on Netflix and IMDB, but the premise sounded ok (woman over into a haunted apartment, and after her death, her sister wants to expose the sinister secrets of the place) plus I like Mischa Barton,  so I figured I'd give it a chance.

Unfortunately, while the premise is good and I wanted to get into the story, the acting isn't that great.  Both Mischa Barton and Rebecca DeMornay can act and I know it, so it's like they're not really trying with this movie, which is kind of annoying.

The music isn't bad, and there are some creepy ghostly effects, though, so that aspect of the movie kinda works.  Sadly, I liked the character of the little sister better than any of the other characters, and she is dispatched pretty quickly, so that was a bummer.

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that this movie is a US remake if a Japanese horror movie, and it was released in 3D to capitalize on what everyone thought would be a huge 3D craze a few years ago.  The 3D setup explains why things keep flying at the screen in this movie.  It seemed the thought process didn't go much further than "keep throwing things at the audience, and they'll keep throwing money at us!"  I'm willing to bet the original Japanese movie was probably a lot better than this one.  It's a shame, because this movie could have worked if the filmmakers put more effort into it, but it just never comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment