Wednesday, October 28, 2015

2015 October Horror Challenge #79 "Starry Eyes"



Actors are crazy, yo.  And I have a lot of friends who act, and I've acted myself, so I know what I'm talking about.  The stress and pressure they put themselves through,  the rituals they have to help calm themselves down before auditions, practicing lines at 3 AM when you have a pillow over your head and you can still hear them yelling down the hall.  I remember it all, and this movie puts those memories to good use by giving me a lead character I could relate to in a lot of ways.

This movie is about an aspiring actress named Sarah who's struggling but would do anything to be famous, like many actors (though most won't take it quite so far, I hope).  She's a little touched in the head, methinks, and sometimes it's hard to tell if things that happen are real or only in her head.  That's one of the things this movie is known for, actually.  The reviews describe this film as what would happen if David Cronenberg and David Lynch made a horror movie together, which is pretty high praise for an indie flick.  Basically what it comes down to is that this movie is trippy and dreamlike (nightmarelike, to be more precise) so I suppose I knew from the beginning that I was in for a mindfuck when I decided to watch this movie.

There's a whole lot of scenes in here that make you feel like you're on drugs, or at least they did to me.  There's also some nasty, mean-spirited gory stuff, and the whole plot is pretty subversive.  I felt like I needed a shower after watching this, which is pretty high praise, since I watch a lot of horror movies, so I have a strong stomach for ickiness.  It all comes together in the end, though, and this movie is well worth checking out for those who enjoy some in-your-face horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment