Thursday, October 29, 2015

2012 October Horror Challenge #83 "The Crow: City of Angels"



The Crow was such a classic, iconic movie for so many people.  People like me, moody kids obsessed with dark stuff, that was our movie.  Knowing this, and knowing that the movie's star Brandon Lee had died tragically during filming (so he wouldn't be available if there were a sequel) I suppose I thought there wouldn't BE a sequel, period.  Of course, like I said, the movie was iconic for a generation of people, so the desire to make a sequel and cash in on the success of the first movie was too high.  When the sequel came out, I wanted to hate it before it was even released, so I never watched it.  I heard it was terrible, and I figured I'd made the right decision.

Fast forward a few years, and now I'm an adult approaching middle age, and it seems kind of silly to continue to hate a movie I've never seen just because it's a sequel to a movie I love.  I decided to finally give this movie a chance.  I like Mia Kirshner, and she plays a grown-up Sarah, the troubled preteen from the first movie.  She works as a tattoo artist now, and still has a close connection with the dead who visit her in her dreams, particularly a man named Ashe, who was killed (along with his young son) for witnessing a murder ordered by a local drug kingpin, Judah.  I recognize the actor who plays Judah, too.  It's Richard Brooks from Law & en i wad s teenOrder, though he's way off from his role as an ADA in that show.

This movie isn't great.  I think it's going fir the sane sense of poetry in the first one, but a lot of the line delivery is wooden and kind of silly. It's not all bad, though.  There are some cool death scenes, and Iggy Pop gives a surprisingly good performance (hey, someone else I know!) People have a point about it not being as good as the original, and I probably would have hated it even more if I'd seen it when I was a teenager obsessed with the original,  but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment