Monday, October 12, 2015

2015 October Horror Challenge #30 "The Babadook"



I've wanted to see this movie since I first heard about it.  I remember plenty of creepy childhood stories and rhymes that kind of freaked me out as a kid (when the bough breaks the cradle will fall and down will come baby?  If I should die before I wake?  WTF us wrong with people, teaching their kids terrifying crap like this?) so any movie that has to do with kids and/or evil creatures from lore that are after kids, intrigues me and I must watch it.  I was so confident I'd like this movie that I bought it as soon as it came out, and I had a hard time waiting until October to check it out.

Right from the beginning, the mother in this movie scared the crap out of me.  I realize that she's a single mother trying to raise a son on her own, and I get that it must have been horrible having her husband die, so I should have empathy for her, and I do, I really do, but she seems like she's about ten cans short of a six pack, and it unnerved me how crazy and off-kilter she seemed.

Her son is a trip, too.  He might be acting out because his mom is so nutso, but he almost drove ME nutso with all his screaming and talk of monsters and acting up all the time.  Suffice it to say that there's plenty wrong with this family even before a mysterious children's book shows up telling of a creature called the Babadook who will creep into a child's room at night and maje him wish he were dead.

Charming, right?  After this book shows up and the creature seems to be stalking the family, things fall apart pretty quickly until both Mother and son are facing something evil they have not much chance of defeating.  This movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be, and it got under my skin in a way I'm not sure I liked.


No comments:

Post a Comment