Friday, October 2, 2015

2015 October Horror Challenge #10 "Woman in Black II: Angel of Death"



The first movie surprised me with how mean-spirited and nasty it could be, especially for a PG-13 rated movie.  Even R-rated movies can shy away from anything involving harming children, but this movie went there, and that impressed me.  It made the titular ghost seem truly evil.  Since I liked the first movie so much, I was hoping that I'd like the sequel as well.  So what did I think?

I'm sorry to say it, but the first thing I noticed about this movie was that it seemed boring, especially when compared with the first film.  I get that they wanted this movie to be gloomy, but the first movie was gloomy too, and it never seemed to drag because something was always happening.

Once things get going, about a half hour in, the movie does get better.  Ghosts creep me out, so in that respect, the movie does deliver some chills.  Of course there already a lot of jump scares, too, which are kind of a cheap shot but are effective at throwing me off balance.  There's also lots of creeping around in the dark, which I enjoy as a way to build tension.

Kids can be mean little snots, so as soon as the movie starts focusing more on the shy, quiet boy being bullied by the other kids, it seems clear 5hat the ghost is fixation on him for some reason, and of course the adults have to figure out what is going on, while they keep insisting that ghosts aren't real in spite of mounting evidence to the contrary.

Well, I guess 5o be fair, one of the characters believes in the ghost fairly quickly, but others are stubborn,  so its like "there's no such thing as ghosts!" *ghost attacks* "nope, there's STILL no such thing as ghosts!" *ghost attacks again* "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" and it's kind of annoying.

That's my biggest problem with this movie, it takes F-O-R-E-V-E -R for anything to happen, while we wait and twiddle our thumbs, and even at the climax of the movie, stuff happens and then we pause everything to wander around while nothing happens again.  The movie feels a lot longer than an hour and 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment