Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Stained (2010)

This is another one of those movies that Netflix kept bothering me about, saying they thought I'd like it so they recommended it to me a thousand times.  The description doesn't give much away (and now that I've seen the movie I realize that the description lies through its teeth) so I wasn't sure what to think about it, but what is October for if not exploring every horror film I can get my grubby little paws on?  I'm glad I checked this one out.

The story concerns Isabelle, played by actress Tinsel Korey, who is known for her small roles in the Twilight Saga films, and gets a lot more to do here.  Isabelle is a kind of a sad-sack lonely young woman who lives alone with her two cats and runs a secondhand bookstore (complete with a third cat).  Isabelle doesn't get out much, and she has a hard past, which we see in flashbacks that are garbled and hard to put together.  She lived with her mother as a child until her mother died and she went into foster care, and now the only family she has is her overprotective foster sister who insists that she check in every night by phone.  Isabelle seems to be afraid of getting involved with men, and we see her freak out and throw a guy out of her apartment early on in the movie when he touches her face.  So Isabelle has problems, but it takes the whole movie for us to know exactly what those problems are, and how her foster sister fits into everything, and the story is a jumbled mess of flashbacks from time to time, but by the end it turns out to be an interesting ride with some good gore and some messed up plot twists, so I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment