Thursday, October 31, 2013

Horror challenge #90: "Tales from the Hood"

So I saw this movie back when I was a teen, back when it came out, and I liked it, but I didn't have much of a framework for it, having only read the "Tales from the Crypt" comics and seen a few episodes of the TV show.  I didn't know about the "Tales from the Crypt" movie, or the "Vault of Horror," or I would have been able to place this movie more in a context of stories where people encounter a creepy person who tells them horror stories, and then they realize they are damned to hell (bummer).  Someone I know recently saw this movie and complained that all the white people are racist in it, blaming that on Spike Lee (who executive produced this movie) but I don't put much stock in that. 

First of all, Spike Lee didn't write the movie, so leave him out of it, second, not all the white people in this movie are racist, third of all, a lot of white people are racist anyway, which is despicable, and in movies like this, despicable people do evil things and then get punished (whether they're white or black) that's how it works.  There aren't even that many white people in this movie in the first place, which is why I like it so much, floating in the sea of white faces in the rest of the movies on this list thus far.  Suffice it to say, I think if you watch this movie and complain that the like four white characters are racist and therefore the movie is saying all white people are racist, the problem is more with you than with this movie.

Anyway, the movie follows the classic anthology format with a wraparound story where one character is telling stories to other characters, and each story tells a tale of people doing horrible things and then being punished for their evil deeds.  there's some corrupt cops, an abusive boyfriend, a corrupt politician, and a street thug, and each of them get menaced by something supernatural (some evil dolls, some ghosts, a kid with special powers, you get the idea).  I especially love the story about the killer dolls, which was really the only story I remembered coming into this film.  This movie is a lot of fun, and it's not as whitewashed as most horror movies, so it's a refreshing break (plus I love anthology films anyway).  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment