Friday, October 25, 2013

Horror challenge #64: "The Devil Inside"

This movie got a lot of flack when it opened, because a lot of horror fans hated it (especially the ending) but I love found footage type movies, so I was pretty sure I would enjoy it.  The movie is about a college-age woman whose mother murdered three people years ago while supposedly suffering from demonic possession.  The girl wants to find out the truth, so she visits her mother in Italy at the asylum where she is kept.  Becoming convinced that her mother really is possessed by a demon and not just crazy, the girl has to take steps to help her mother before it's too late.

I really liked this movie.  the three main characters, the woman's daughter Isabel and the two priests she befriends in Italy, play their parts very well and I felt connected to the characters, so I cared what happened to them.  The woman who plays the mother does such a good job acting freaky and crazy that the demonic possession is believable even without the help of special effects.  As for the ending, I actually like the very ending, though the characters make such boneheaded moves at the end of the movie that I wanted to punch them all in the face.  All in all, I think this movie is a lot better than people make it out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment