Saturday, October 26, 2013

Horror Challenge #69: "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"

This movie messes with my head.  I've seen it several times now and I'm still not sure I totally grasp what's going on here, the truth of the story, and I'm not sure I'm really supposed to.  What I do know is that it's about a man in an asylum telling a story about why he's there, so from the beginning it's going to be messed up, and I'm not sure how much of his story is true, but it freaks me out and makes me never want to go to a hypnotist...some people think it's fun to have someone implant suggestions into their minds to make them do things they wouldn't normally do, but all it does it make me think of this movie.  No thank you.  The imagery and the sets and the music are all off-kilter and they keep me coming back to be fascinated again, even if I'm not totally sure I understand everything I'm seeing.  This is the first and possibly the best mindfuck movie ever made, and for that it deserves to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment