Sunday, October 27, 2013

Horror Challenge #79: "Lizzie"

I've been meaning to check out this movie since the beginning of the challenge.  I've been kind of obsessed with the Lizzie Borden case ever since I was a kid, because I wasn't allowed to watch horror movies, but since the Lizzie Borden story was a historical event, my mom let me watch a movie about it, and it stuck in my head.  The movie we watched seemed pretty slanted toward thinking Lizzie was guilty of the murder of her mother and father, though she was found not guilty after the trial, and the movie came up with its own theories for why and how Lizzie did it.  Historians don't agree on everything, but it seems to be universally accepted that Lizzie's father was a bully, and that he made his wife and daughters suffer in poverty despite his wealth, a theory that is carried over to this movie.

This movie is about a young woman named Lizzie, who has a lot of psychological problems after moving back to her hometown and the house where she grew up, which is also the house where Lizzie Borden used to live.  Our Lizzie seems to have had some traumatic events happen in her childhood, but she refuses to discuss them with her psychiatrist, using him more as a prescription filler than as a confidant.  Lizzie is having problems with her boyfriend too, and she's made a new friend in a neighbor woman who doesn't seem to have any concept of boundaries, as she just walks into Lizzie's house whenever she wants without knocking or announcing herself.  By the time the movie ends, we've of course found out what happened in Lizzie's childhood (though I'm not so sure I understand it completely) and why Lizzie is so screwed up now.  The movie wasn't great, it had flaws with the pacing and some questionable acting, but it kept my interest and piqued my curiosity as a longtime reader of the Lizzie Borden legend, which overpowered the movie's flaws for me, so it wasn't bad.  Others who don't share my ghoulish passion for that legend might not enjoy this movie as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment