Tuesday, October 30, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #93: "Society (1989)"



I've been meaning to see this movie for years. It's supposed to be depraved and disgusting, it's actually legendary for it's disgusting scenes. I'm sitting here eating dinner thinking that it might not be a good idea to eat while I'm watching this movie. That's how vile I expect it to be. Plus I'm wondering if it really breaks all these taboos or if it's one of those movies that doesn't live up to its hype. I guess I'll find out.

So this movie is about a teenage boy whose parents come from the upper crust of society, and they hobnob with all the other rich people, and follow the unspoken rules of high society, only associate with the "right" people, things like that. Soon, the boy becomes convinced that his parents are part of a depraved cult of other rich people who do disgusting things together. The boy is paranoid, so it's hard to see how much of this stuff is true and what's only in his head (but given what I've heard about this movie, I'm thinking he might be right).

I hate rich people.  Ok, that's not really fair. I suppose I don't hate all rich people, but the entitled asshole rich people like the ones in this movie, who have everything handed to them all their lives and stomp all over the little people,  poor people like me...yeah, I don't like them. And it's not jealousy, either, I don't want to be like them. I'd love to have a ton of money, but I wouldn't be like them, treating people the way they do, like everyone "below" them is expendable, meant to be used and abused and tossed away like trash. Yeah, that makes me sick, and it's more disgusting than anything they could show in a horror movie,  because it's real, and it happens to real people every day.

Ok, so rant over, but my point is that I've been hearing about this movie most of my life (I was 8 when it came out) and how it's sick and disgusting and vile, and people ran out of the theater vomiting, and how it breaks every taboo, so by the time I finally got to actually SEE the movie, I was ready for anything it tried to throw at me. Everything is all slimy and bloody and gooey and body parts are flopping around, and I'm just sitting there like "yep, that's what I thought."

Not to say that the movie is bad, really. It's gross and disgusting, but I expected that, and it's so over the top I want to roll my eyes into the next century, but the gore is mostly well-done. I hated the main character (played by Billy Warlock, and if that isn't a perfect name for a horror actor, I don't know what is) because he's a whiny drama Queen who is convinced everything in his life is some big conspiracy, but of course he's right, and by the movie's ending, I gained a grudging respect for him. I'm glad I didn't eat anything during the last half hour or so, but like I said, I expected ad much, so there was only one part that was REALLY gross to me. I don't know if it would have made me puke, but I'm happy not to find out. Overall, the movie was actually not bad, I just wish I hadn't known so much going in. My only complaint is that now I have the movie's theme song stuck in my head and it's pissing me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment