Tuesday, October 9, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #29: "Merlin: The Return"



The first Merlin movie always divided my friends. It always seemed like half of them liked it and half hated it. It was a cheesy fantasy/horror flick about an evil sorcerer, and I felt like it tried to take itself too seriously,  which ruined the fun for me. Happily, this movie doesn't take anything seriously, so it's more silly fun for me.

So this movie has a half-assed "plot" that is muddled and confusing. Basically Merlin was trapped in a hell dimension at the end of the last movie, but he is freed in this movie and emerges ready to defeat his enemies,  which pisses them off and causes them to wreak havoc again trying to stop him. Plus there's an evil doctor/scientist in the present day who's trying to team up with the evil wizard and do a bunch of evil things, and the only ones who can stop her are two kids.

Sue me, I had fun with this movie. Yes, I know it's terrible, but it's fun to watch two kids defeat the bad guys. I love how the evil doctor/scientist is a woman, and we know she's a bad guy right away because she wears purple lipstick. The special effects are bad, and so is the acting, but I liked watching Merlin's enemy's evil lightening destroy a lab, and getting to see him defeated by two kids who are the smartest people in the movie. So much so that the evildoers send the kids to try and defeat Merlin, because they're the most competent people in the movie. Silly fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment