Wednesday, October 24, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #68: "House of Bones"



Amazon keeps recommending this movie to 6, so I finally caved in today. I like Charisma Carpenter already, so I figure she'll be good at her role even of the movie sucks. Let's hope it doesn't suck, though.

This movie is about one of those reality shows where the film crew visits a supposedly haunted location and tries to document the ghostly activity.  Like I've mentioned before, I usually find those shows boring because its basically watching boring home movies of people talking about ghosts and then everyone acting scared when a door swings open by itself. If I was actually at the event , I would probably be scared, bit watching it on video is kinda underwhelming.  I've seen a lot of movies like this, and most of them have been good, so I have high Hope's for this one.

I have to say that the opening sequence with the little boy trying to retrieve his lost baseball is pretty creepy. Great opening there, guys. I don't like the lead character, the host of the show, but the rest of the crew seem pretty cool. Charisma Carpenter is good as I expected, playing a psychic named Heather who actually has powers and isn't just faking.

I know they're filming a show and all, but I still think I'd hope the fuck out of there once all the scary crap starts happening.  Especially Heather, I mean, she KNOWS all this is real? Contract or no contract,  I'd be out the door. Sorry guys. Film your show without me. Of course, soon it's too late and all hell is breaking loose. Literally, you know. Things get really jumbled here, with a bunch of ideas fighting for space and it doesn't totally make sense, but there's some good gore and some creepy scenes that work in spite of it all. I veer between saying it's a huge mess and it's just not worth the ride, and yet I had fun, so I don't know. There are better movies with this same idea, so you should probably watch one of those instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment