Monday, October 8, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #22: "Kiss of the Tarantula"



Since I'm afraid of spiders, I tend to like horror movies featuring spiders, even if they're bad. Spiders creep me out, so in turn the movies creep me out.  I know I'm not alone here, since lots of people share my fear of spiders,  so I wish there were more spider horror movies around. I'm always happy when I find a spidery horror movie to watch, so I was excited to check this out.

The movie is about a creepy little girl we ho is obsessed with spiders. She raises tarantulas in her basement, which freaks her mother out. After a terrifying event happens, the girl wind as up being raised by her father. Soon she's a creepy teenager, still raising spiders, who is getting bullied in school. When the bullies who target her start dying, her pervy uncle who is also a policeman is suspicious that she has something to do with the deaths.

This movie has a lot going on. It has a creepy little girl,  creepy spiders, a creepy uncle who keeps perving on his niece, bullies who torment those who are different from them. The movie also has a sleepy, dreamlike quality, thanks in large part to the performance of the main teenage girl, who always seems disconnected from reality. Her acting isn't that great, but she pulls the performance off anyway because her weird awkwardness fits the character so well.

The bullies are jerks and it's fun seeing them get picked off, even if the death scenes are stupid and ridiculous. Creepy spiders are enough to keep my attention. I could do without the pervy uncle who makes me want to puke, but he does add some sleaziness to the proceedings. 70s horror movies should be a little sleazy I guess. Overall this movie isn't great, but I managed to have fun with it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment