Monday, October 8, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #25: "The Blackwell Ghost"



Ok, so this purports to be a true story, featuring actual documentary footage of a real ghost. This usually comes as a surprise to people, since I enjoy horror movies so much, but I actually don't like watching ghost hunter type shows. I like actually going to places that are supposed to be haunted, that's fun for me, but watching someone else's "haunted" footage pu s incredibly boring for me. It's always people freaking out because a door swung open or there's a smudge on the footage that's OMG SRSLY A GHST! It's just silly, and it's a waste of my time, but people seemed to like this movie, so I decided to give it a chance anyway.

This movie purports to be a real documentary, like I said, and supposedly this guy who never believed in real ghosts sees some footage that shows a real haunting in his home state of Kentucky,  so he goes and investigates and shoots his own footage, and he winds up being terrorized by a real ghost.

I mentioned this last year, but while I used to enjoy "found footage" type horror movies, and I still like the good ones I've seen in the past, I'm kinda burnt out on them. They just look like a bunch of boring footage of peo pl le being stupid and holding onto a camera when most people would have dropped it long ago. They just annoy me now, and they take WAY too long to get to the point. This movie follows that pattern, unfortunately. I dont9really like the main guy, the main character, and I didn't buy his premise. He directs zombie movies but he can't give us titles or even tell us his last name? Sure dude.

I do like the other main character, the older gentleman who lives in a supposedly haunted house. He's more interesting and engaging to me. I like listening to him telling the stories behind the supposed ghostly activity. I'd still rather sit around a campfire and tell scary stories than watch a movie like this, though. And as for the footage of the supposed ghostly activity, yeah a few things happen that would probably be creepy if I were there, but watching them on film is unsatisfying, to say the least. It just didn't get to me, though I did wind up liking the filmmaker and his wife by the end of the movie, more than I did at the beginning, at least. Maybe this will be someone else's cup of tea, but it just left me disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment