Wednesday, October 17, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #46: "The Messengers II: The Scarecrow"



I love me a good killer scarecrow movie! It's about time I watched one this year for the challenge. I really liked the original "The Messengers," and I'd heard the sequel was good, so I finally decided to check it out today. It has Norman Reedus in it, so how bad could it be?

This movie is about a farmer (Reedus) whose farm is failing, his corn isn't growing well, and the bank is threatening to foreclose on his farm. He finds a creepy scarecrow buried in his barn, and despite his young son warning him that the scarecrow is bad, he hangs it up in his field. Soon things seem to be turning around. The corn is doing better, but people start dying mysteriously, the deaths seem to be connected to the farm somehow, and the farmer's family is in trouble. His wife is on the verge of leaving him, and weird things seem to keep happening in and around his field. Will he wake up and realize the danger before it's too late?

This movie reminded me a lot if "The Shining" (the book, which I thought was amazing...let's not talk about the movie). A man down on his luck, we're rooting for him to make it, supernatural things start taking over his life, his family starts drifting away from him, and he needs to see the danger and stop the evil before he loses everything.

The scarecrow is REALLY creepy in this movie, and the ghostly visions were really cool too. And why don't people ever listen to the ghosts warning them about trouble? The characters in the original movie  didn't listen either, but I like to think that if a ghost came all the way back from the dead just to tell me something, that I'd pay attention. Come on, people. Overall this movie is really well done. There are a few things that had me side eyeing the movie, a few inconsistencies, but in the end I think I liked this movie even better than the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment