Sunday, October 14, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #41: "Dear Dracula"



I try to watch sound kids Halloween movies every year, in memory of the kid I once was who loved Halloween and everything spooky, and I hit on a great one this time.

"Dear Dracula" is based on a graphic novel of the same name, and it's about a kid who lives with his grandmother, loves Halloween and everything spooky, and calls himself Dracula's biggest fan. He even has a pet spider named Webber. He writes a fan letter to Dracula just before Halloween one year, and Dracula actually travels to his house to ask for his help. See, people don't seem to be afraid of him anymore,  and he needs this kid's help learning how to scare today's modern kids.

I was a lot like the kid in this movie when I was a kid myself. I wasn't allowed to watch horror movies when I was really young, or read horror novels, but my mom let me read Bram Stoker's "Dracula" because it was a classic,  and I LOVED that book. I still do, in fact. This movie is a lot of fun. Dracula is not impressed with today's vampires, all sparkly and lovestruck.

The voice actors in this movie are a lot of fun as well. Ray Liota and Matthew Lillard are two of my favorites, and I like Ariel Winters, too. She's been on this list before when she was in a horror movie called "Duress," which wound up being better than I thought it would be. She was in "Paranorman" too, and a movie called "Excision" that I really need to check out. I like how the kid in this movie,  Sam, helps Dracula out but needs help from Dracula too, learning how to be cool and interesting and make friends. Dracula is really suave after all, so he can offer a lot of tips in that department. I really enjoyed this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment