Tuesday, October 2, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #4: "Mausoleum"



I was excited to find another 80s horror movie that I haven't seen yet. Props to Amazon for notifying me when they add a movie I might like. This one, from 1983, is about a little girl who inherits her family's estate after her mother died. Unfortunately, something evil lurks in the old homestead, and it wants the little girl. Once she grows up and is old enough to take over the house and property, the evil curse takes hold of the woman and makes her do its bidding. Horror ensues.

The problem with finding horror movies like this that I've never heard of is that they were probably buried for a reason: they're terrible. This one isn't the worst I've ever seen, but it's pretty bad. The acting is pretty bad, the special effects aren't that great, and the plot is kind of stupid, leaving more questions than answers.

For instance, why did the other people in the girl's life (and the woman once she's grown) do much of anything about the creepy ass shit that keeps happening around her? I mean, she's seeing a psychiatrist, so presumably her aunt who takes care of her after her mother died did realize that she needed help, but I still feel like I'd be way more freaked out after the events that take place in the beginning of the movie, especially since she seems to know that something evil affected her sister (the girl's mother).

And after the girl grows up, once the husband sees what starts happening to his wife,  I'd be calling an exorcist, not saying "hmmm, maybe she should see a doctor." Plus if the evil presence is trying to kill everyone who poses a threat to its existence, why doesn't it kill the doctor right away? Lazy ass evil spirits slacking off on their jobs.

The best thing this movie has going for it are the actresses who play the little girl and later the woman. Their acting kind of sucks, but they have a great stage presence and they both have mesmerizing eyes. I legit got creeped out whenever they stared at the screen, which was a lot, because this movie really wanted to pad its running time by having the characters wander around and look into space a lot. I still had fun watching this movie though, even if it was kinda silly. It's still early in the challenge, so movies that kinda suck don't push me off as much as they might later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment