Sunday, October 21, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #58: "Blackwater"




It's hard to find info about this movie. I expect since it's an ultra low-budget horror flick and it's got the same title as a bunch of other movies, it gets lost in the shuffle a bit. It's a shame, too, because this movie really isn't that bad. I mean, yeah, when it began and I saw how grainy it was, and how cheap it looked, like someone's home video, I was sure it was going to be terrible, but it ends up being much better than I expected.

The movie is about a group of four women who call themselves the Getaway Girls. They're old friends, and they meet up once a year or so to go on a girl's night out trip. This time, Angie, the tough girl of the group, got to pick the getaway location, so she signed them up for a secluded camping trip in the Everglades. Unfortunately for our characters, there ate some deranged men lurking in the swamp who want to tape and kill them. I hate it when that happens.

The opening scenes of this movie seem to suggest that these men have killed before, or at least been extremely violent, and gotten away with it. I don't think that's very plausible,  because there are laws, even in the swampland, and people would be missed. Whatever. Plus I mean it when I say this movie is ULTRA LOW-BUDGET,  I could have shot it in my backyard and it would have looked about the same quality.

What saves this movie are really the performances. The women are a bit awkward from time to time, and the script is a bit clunky every once in awhile,  but the women really do put a lot into their performances. I really believed they were friends and I cared what happened to them in spite of myself. This movie reminds me a lot of another ultra low-budget horror movie I like called "Five Across the Eyes," and this one has a similar "female empowerment vibe. Sue me, but I liked this one a lot more than I thought u would. I'm glad I checked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment