Sunday, October 28, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #80: "Fury of the Wolfman"



I didn't pay much attention to this movie, and I somehow thought it was one of the classic Universal wolfman movies,  until it started playing and I realized my mistake. I knew one of the actors, though, Paul Naschy, from other movies I'd seen with him, so I held out hope that some hope that it would be good.

This movie is about a man who went on an expedition in the wilderness where he was the only survivor and everyone else died.  He secretly suffers from lycanthropy, and he sees a doctor,  a professor at a local college, who claims she can cure him. Soon a bunch of horrible events befall him and anyone else connected with the professor. She seems to exert a lot of control and gets people to follow her and agree with her wishes. A local reporter starts investigating the strange events, and seems to be the only one who can get to the truth.

This movie is kind of ridiculous. A lot of the acting is bad, and the characters do some asinine things over and over again, which really takes me out of the movie. Think someone's death is mysterious? Let's rob his grave! That's the logical next step, right? And how does an evil doctor get away with doing experiments on humans for so long without anyone noticing? And when they finally catch him, you'd think the people in the town would be vigilant enough to notice if it was happening again with new victims.

I did like Paul Naschy's character. Yeah, he was a dumbass,  but I still kinda liked him and felt bad for him. Once the movie passes the halfway mark, I liked the two main characters who were suffering under the professor's control, and I wanted them to figure out a way to beat her. It's ridiculous,  like I said, and I made a lot of snarky comments, but I've definitely seen worse movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment