Friday, October 19, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #56: "The Lost Tree"



This is another cool movie poster, and a title that sounds intriguing. How does a tree get lost? Maybe that's why the last movie I watched sucked so bad, the movie poster was terrible, and all the other movies I've seen today had cool movie posters. Lesson learned. Only cool looking movie posters for me from now on.

This movie is about a man whose wife is killed, and his life kind of falls apart, so he decides to spend some time in a secluded house to get his bearings and find himself again. The house is beautiful, as is the location, but there seems to be something odd going on, since the last family that stayed there left all their stuff behind when they went away. He doesn't seem to see anything weird about this at first,  but soon he's hearing strange noises, seeing creepy things,  and discovering that the house seems to have a dark secret.

The main character isn't very likeable. I won't spoil why, but suffice it to say he didn't have the perfect marriage that everyone seems to think he had.  A lot of the movie is flashbacks of his memories, and while I like this because I get to see more of Claire Kramer, who plays his wife, and she'sa good actress, it annoys me a bit that he seems to only remember the good bits, almost like he's lying to himself about their relationship being perfect, too.

A lot of the other reviews for this movie say he's riddled with guilt, but he doesn't seem to feel guilty to me, he just seems to feel sorry for himself, which I guess is normal, but it annoys me that he wallows in self pity more than worrying what's wrong with his creepy ass house and getting the hell out of there. It's not like he's trapped, so I wonder why he doesn't just leave. He also talks to himself a lot. Now I talk to myself too, but this guy seems to think he's narrating his own life, which of course he is, to those of us viewing the movie, but it doesn't seem like something a real person would do, so it feels forced, like lazy filmmaking. Don't bother to build nuance and character development into your plot, just have your main character tell us everything like he's reading the script aloud.

In case you can't tell, I'm not enthused by this movie. It drags way more than such a short movie should drag, the main character narrates everything that happens like the filmmakers thought we were too stupid not to realize what was going on, it feels like nothing happens for hours while the dumb guy in the movie focuses on the wrong things (who cares about a stupid tree? Get out of the house! No, don't buy a camera, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!) And then suddenly OMG EVERYTHING happens in the last 20 minutes, like the plot escapes from wherever they were hiding it and just EXPLODED all over the movie. It's kind of interesting, but it's too little, too late. It frustrates me, because this movie has promise, but it doesn't know what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment