Sunday, October 28, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #84: "Coraline"



I've been wanting to see this movie since before it was even in theaters. I saw the movie trailer, and it was so creepy and really immersed you in the story. This movie got put on the back burner, but I always thought about watching it for the challenge, since it seemed so delightfully creepy. You can tell from this poster even how scary this movie is.

This movie is about a preteen girl whose family moves to a creepy old house in the boonies. She finds a small door in one of the rooms of her house that is sealed off, but one night it transforms into a tunnel, and when she crawls through the tunnel, she winds up in an alternate reality that is much like her regular life, only opposite. Her parents are usually uninvolved and neglectful, but in the opposite world they seem warm and loving, so much so that she's tempted to stay, until it becomes clear that there is something sinister under the surface of the seemingly idyllic world.

I really don't like Coraline's real parents. They're always preoccupied and snappy and cranky and rude, which gets old real quick. Your kid might not want to escape to an alternate world if you weren't such jerks. The opposite world really creeps me out, too. I can totally sense the evil lurking under the surface of the supposedly happy family. I guess I just don't trust overly "nice" people. I always suspect that there's something they're hiding, and I'm usually right. Overall, the movie is really creepy and cool, and I'm glad I finally got to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment