Wednesday, October 17, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #48: "Ghostbusters (2016)"



I saw this movie the year it came out and really liked it. It was fun seeing a movie I loved from my childhood redone with more modern technology and ideas, and yes, as a little girl who loved the Ghostbusters, I enjoyed seeing women busting the ghosts this time around. I saw the extended version today, so I got to see some scenes I didn't see before, and it was a solid two hours of fun.

In this reboot, Kristen Wiig plays a physics professor trying to earn respect in her field and tenure at her university, when she discovers a woman she partnered with and wrote a book with many years ago is selling a book they wrote together about how ghosts actually exist. Fearing that this book will wreck her credibility, she asks her former partner to stop selling it, which leads to them actually seeing a real ghost and, through a series of unexpected events , teaming up together to fight ghosts (picking up two more partners along the way).

Honestly, I pretty much loved everything about this movie. I love how the hot secretary who functions primarily as eye candy is a guy this time (Chris Hemsworth is way hotter with glasses) and how he's hilariously bad at his job. I love the updated look of the ghosts, the more modern music, and the big supernaturally powered dance sequence. I love how the women are true friends and how they look out for each other, how there's a fat woman character who's weight isn't the butt of every joke. Yep, I pretty much loved it all. If they ever make a sequel I'll love that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment