Monday, October 8, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #23: "Final Exam (1981)"




I was happy to find yet another 80s slasher movie that I've never seen before to add to my list. This one came out in 1981, the year I was born (yes, I'm old). The movie takes place at a University during finals week after most of the students have gone home. The few stragglers are those who have late finals and those who work for the university so they have to stay to close the place down after everyone else leaves. Unfortunately for them, there's a killer on the loose who wants to make this the final exam of their lives by brutally killing them.

This is a really sleazy 80s slasher. Maybe since it was made so close to the 70s that some ofv would hat 70s sleaze leaked onto the proceedings, but everyone is sleeping with professors or pulling fraternity "pranks" that involve guns and violence that would get you arrested if you tried it today. The 80s were a lawless wasteland.

I was always one of the stragglers who was the last to leave the university every finals week, so the creepy atmosphere where everything is like a ghost town with most of the students gone rings true to me. I don't really like the characters very much, so it's kind of hard to care about them. There's the token nerdy guy, the popular girls who seem to have everything handed to them, the girl who isn't considered pretty because she's smart, the dumb frat brothers, the pervy professor, the oversexed teacher's assistant.

It's not all bad, though. I will admit that while the characters are shallow, the acting isn't bad. Well, from the girls at least, the frat guys kind of suck. There are some tense scenes when the killer is stalking his prey that work ok even though I didn't like the characters very much. The cheesy 80s synth music is kind of silly, but that's just a sign of the times when this movie was made. Overall, the movie wasn't great, but I like slashers, so I had fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment