Monday, October 29, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #90: "Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed"



I've always loved Scooby Doo, and I saw the first movie in theaters when i was in college, but I never got around to watching the second one. I decided to remedy that today, since if I'm checking out some kid-friendoy Halloween flicks, Scooby Doo is one of the best. I really hoped this movie lived up to the funtimes of the cartoon series.

So in this movie, the Scooby Gang are riding high over their success in the first movie, and they attend a premiere where they're treated as stars, until some ghosts and monsters crash the party and wind up catching them by surprise and humiliating them. After being disgraced, the gang has to investigate and figure out what happened, Hijinks ensue.

I liked the first movie, but I remember that it had a lot of jokes and innuendo aimed at adults who would be watching with their kids. There's nothing wrong with that, but to me, it kinda felt more like a parody making fun of the show than the fun I remember having watching the show itself. Bummer, dude.

This movie felt more like an adaptation of the show to me. The characters acted more like the detectives I remembered from the show. I loved Daphne using her makeup to figure out how to help the gang, Velma explaining what the clues meant, and Shaggy and Scooby trying to figure out clues on their own so they can prove that they belong in the gang. I also love Seth Green, so it was fun seeing him play another loveable nerd in this movie. Overall,  I was hoping this movie would hold up to the first movie, but I actually ended up liking it better. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment