Wednesday, October 24, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #66: "The Burbs"




I've heard about this movie for years, but I've never checked it out before. It was always on my to-do list, though. It's about some suburban men who become suspicious of their mysterious new neighbors who let their yard get run-down and only seem to come out at night. The more they analyze the behavior of their neighbors,  the crazier their theories get, until soon they're totally paranoid and convinced their neighbors are satan worshipping murderers. Funtimes.

When I was a kid, my friends in the apartment complex where I lived all shared my overactive imagination, and we would come up with theories and stories about our neighbors too. At one point, we were pretty convinced that there was a cult of satan worshipping drug dealers in our town, and they all drove cars with "EVV" in their license plates. Yeah, we were nuts. But in our defense, we were kids. The dildobrains in this movie are grown middle aged adults who should definitely know better. Good lord. Yes, their neighbors are weird, but that's no excuse for the psychotic lengths they go to, or why they don't just call the damn police after some of the stuff they find. I'm glad my neighbors are better at minding their own business.

This movie has some bigger stars, like Tom Hanks and Corey Feldman, so it was fun seeing them cut loose and go nuts with their quirky performances. Once all the shit starts to hit the fan, everything just keeps getting more and more insane until there's really no turning back. I think I'll stick with my neighbors I have, thanks. They may be weird sometimes but they don't go to these insane lengths,  and if they have theories about my weird ass, they keep it to themselves. I wouldn't want to live near any of these idiots,  but it was fun watching them in this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment