Wednesday, October 3, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #9: "Little Shop of Horrors (1960)"



I remember seeing the musical version of this movie when I was a kid and thinking it was weird. Boy does that version have nothing on this version. Good lord. Despite the fact that I've had this movie on DVD for years, I've never watched it until now. Clearly I wasn't missing much, and am now nostalgic for the time in my life before I watched this movie. Ugh.

So if you don't know, this movie is about a hapless guy who works as a janitor in a florist's shop and experiments with growing plants in his spare time. He crosses some plants together and ends up creating a venus flytrap that needs to eat people to survive. Soon the plant has grown huge and people are disappearing around town and we're in big trouble.

The movie makes a big deal of advertising that a young Jack Nicholson is in the movie, but he's really only in one scene, overacting and chewing the scenery, yet still managing to be a better actor than any of the "stars" of the movie. It's supposed to be a comedy,  but it's really more stupid than funny, and it manages to be tedious to boot. So much that it feels a lot longer than an hour and a half. I wish I'd watched something else instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment