Wednesday, October 17, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #49: "Cat O' Nine Tails"




I haven't seen this movie in years, but since I love most of director Dario Argento's movies, and since the digital version of this movie was on sale, I decided to snatch it up and watch it again for the challenge this year. Check out the cool movie posters I found! I love how the bottom one touts the connection to the movie "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage," which is my favorite Argento movie and also the first movie I saw of his, back when I was 12.

This movie is about a blind retired newsman and his young niece who overhear some strange things  while walking one night. When people begin dying, the blind man teams up with a journalist to try and figure out what's going on. There's a lot about genetics, and how much of our behavior is connected to our Gene's (nature vs. nurture) and what could cause someone to kill people.

I don't remember this movie being this long. I only remembered the good parts, and it does drag on a lot more than I would have liked. I was probably partially biased by my love of Argrnto's films when I first saw this, so I didn't notice its faults as much as I do now. Argento is a great director, but he does tend to get in his own way a lot, including a lot of long, ramble crap that he thinks is genius when really it's just unnecessary.

This is one if his films that even he has said is not a favorite, in fact that it's his least favorite of his films. I wouldn't go that far, though. There's still a lot I like about this movie. The plot is interesting, and it's fun to watch the two men try to put it all together. The murders were cool and stylistically impressive. I like the disorienting way they were filmed, putting us as the audience off-kilter like the characters. It might ramble on a bit too much, but I still had a lot of fun with this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment