Tuesday, October 9, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #28: "Ghoulies II"



I remember seeing the posters for the Ghoulies movies when I was a kid and really wanting to see them. Little monsters that crawl out of the toilet and kill people? Coolest movie EVER! Imagine my disappointment a few years ago when I finally got to see the first Ghoulies movie and it sucked. I mean, not only was the acting terrible but the movie was BORING. How do you make a movie about evil creatures crawling out of the toilet boring? The setup itself should ensure that the movie was at least funny. Blah. I was hesitant to watch the second movie in the series since I hated the first one so much, but I finally decided to check it out.

In this movie, the titular Ghoulies hijack a traveling carnival when they are summoned by a burnt out old man who heads a magic act but doesn't realize he's capable of working actual magic. His young apprentice is his nephew, who is sick of his drunken antics, especially since the carnival has been bought out by a large corporation that wants to eliminate any acts that don't make money. Enter the Ghoulies to shake things up and kill a bunch of annoying characters!

This movie was everything I wanted the first movie to be. It's silly, but it's still fun watching the creatures attack people, especially the monster that shoots snot at people. He would definitely have been my favorite when I was a kid. I also like the characters and sympathized with their situation, trying to stay afloat in a world that doesn't appreciate their talent anymore. Halfway decent acting, cool monsters, and gross effects make this movie a lot of fun. From now on I'm going to pretend the first movie doesn't exist and only acknowledge this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment