Tuesday, October 23, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #63: "Slice (2018)"



So remember how I was reviewing the movie "Superargo and the Faceless Giants" and I was ts talking about how sometimes I watch really weird-ass movies for the horror Challenge, and you were probably thinking "dude, why does she do that? She wouldn't have to watch so many crappy movies if she stayed away from the really weird stuff." Well, the simple answer to that question is that I stick with the weirdest little movies because sometimes I get to see something crazy amazing that I would have missed if I read the description and thought "WTF? NEXT." "Slice" is one of those amazing little weird movies, and I'd watch a million "Superargos" for the chance to see something this cool.

Oh where do I even begin with this one? I mean, like the voice over in the beginning says, this movie is about a bunch of ghosts, some witches, a werewolf,  and a really shitty pizza place. No, no, quit running away! Come back, I promise this one is worth watching.  I know it sounds crazy, and trust me, it's going to get even crazier before the movie ends, but it's also one of the coolest, most fun movies I've ever seen.

So yeah, there's a pizza place, and it's located in a ghost town. No, that's not just an expression, it's located in a town full of ghosts
 That part of the city was built over an old asylum that happened to be haunted, and when the ghosts got pissed about being displaced from their haunting grounds, the city decided to move them into scummy housing, and that became ghost town. The pizza place is staffed by mostly living people (and one dead guy, you know, on the name of diversity) but mostly only the ghosts order the pizza, because the place kind of sucks. Anyway, some murderers start happening, and the police aren't sure if it's the ghosts, or the local drug dealers, or this mysterious werewolf who's back in town after many years, possibly to settle an old score.

In case you can't tell, this movie is messed up. Half the time I thought I was on drugs, the other half I kinda wanted some drugs because I thought maybe they would help. I was enthralled the whole time,  though. The performances are great, everyone seems to be having as much fun as I was, and there are a lot of twists along the way, and there's a lot of humor that's surprisingly actually funny, not just what passes for funny in a lot of today's comedies, which is mostly just lazy and stupid. I feel like anything else I say will give too much away, and this movie is best seen with as few preconceptions as possible, so just give it a chance. I'm sure it's not for everyone,  but I loved every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment