Sunday, October 21, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #60: "Shivers (1975)"





This is the first David Cronenberg movie I ever saw. I'd heard his name for years, and how he was supposed to be a great horror director, and I wanted to watch his films, but this is the first one I managed to see, even before I saw "The Fly." It's a micro budget movie, but it doesn't need a ton of special effects to tell its story. I've always thought it benefitted from it's more scaled-back approach. I tend to go back and watch it every few years now, so I've seen it many times. It's one of my favorites, and it always reminds me why I do this every year.

So this movie is about a luxury hogh-rise apartment, swanky and secluded, that touts itself as a gated community. It has an on-site dental clinic and health clinic, and now it's home to it's very own parasite! The creature multiplies and starts to spread from one resident to another, turning them into mindless drones who want nothing but sex. I know some people like that too.

Like I said, the movie doesn't have or need huge special effects. Simple things like a shot of someone walking on broken glass are effective enough. There's also a scene that takes place in a bathtub that makes me never want to take a bath again. It's creepy and icky and gross, and it definitely makes me side-eye my neighbors. I even had a nightmare about this movie once where I lived in the apartment building where it takes place, and I and some other residents escape and hide in the woods to survive the parasitic invasion. I guess the movie is in my head, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment