Friday, October 5, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #14: "Carnival of Souls"



I've seen this movie many times, since it's one of my favorites, but I've never watched it in color before. The black and white is so perfectly creepy that my mind kept trying to reject the colors and see it in black and white instead. It was a trippy experience, and since this is already a trippy movie, that made it even weirder for me.

This movie is about a woman who survives a car accident and starts seeing terrifying, nightmarish visions that seem to follow her because they want something from her. Some of the creepy things she sees really get under my skin. There's one in particular always freaks me out, and I've seen the movie a bunch of times. I have to respect a movie that can still creep me out without gore or fancy special effects.


The first time I saw this movie, I thought I didn't like it,  because it has a slow,  kinda plodding pace, and it seemed like a dream, which confused me and made my head hurt. Now I love those things about the movie though, because I appreciate how they further the plot. The "slow" pace is actually the movie marching relentlessly on toward the inevitable conclusion, and the imagery is supposed to be like a nightmare, since that's what life is like for the woman. I even noticed a few things that I've never noticed before this time around. You've gotta love a movie that is so rich that you can still notice something new in it after you've watched it 12 times. This movie is still one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment