Sunday, October 7, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 #16: "Deadly Instincts"






I've said it before: this is what happens when you watch too many horror movies. I was looking for a movie to watch, saw a cheesy monster/alien invasion flick called "Deadly Instincts," and thought "nope, never heard of that one," so I watched it. The big monster looked kind of familiar, but I chalked that up to it being a ripoff of the monster from "Pumpkinhead" and the aliens from the "Aliens" series. It wasn't until I was searching around for a movie poster to use with this review and couldn't find much that I realized this movie was marketed under more than one title, and I knew it from its other title, "Breeders." WHOOPS. In my defense, I'd never actually watched the movie  "Breeders," but I've seen the cover in video stores a lot over the years, which is why the monster looked so familiar.

The movie really makes more sense under the title "Breeders," since none of the dumbass characters in the movie actually *have* instincts, deadly or otherwise. Even the monster is kind of stupid. I keep saying "monster" instead of "alien," but that's because this creature doesn't act like a being capable of space travel or intelligent thought, he's just a big, ugly monster who wants to enslave human women and make them carry his offspring.

So like I implied, the acting in this movie isn't very good, and the makeup and effects are pretty bad too. The plot has some promise, though it's been done a million times before, but whoever wrote the script didn't bother to give the characters or situation much depth. It's basically "introduce unlikable characters, rawr monster, they die lol." The movie had more potential as a comedy than a horror flick, because I kept giggling at how absurd it was, and it seems my instincts were correct all those years I passed over this movie and left it on the video store shelf.





No comments:

Post a Comment