Monday, October 31, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #113: "Fulci for Fake"

I mentioned in my review for Aenigma that I used to be lowkey obsessed with the films of Lucio Fulci. It started when I picked up a trashy copy of "Seven Doors of Death," which is an edited version of his film "The Beyond," and it continued with "Don't Torture a Duckling" and "House by the Cemetery" and "Zombie," "City of the Living Dead," and several others. I just couldn't get enough of Fulci's blend of gore and splatter and high melodrama. When I heard there was a movie about Fulci's life and work, I vowed to watch it for the challenge this year, and here we are.

In this movie, filmmaker Simone Scafidi examines the life and career of horror filmmaker Lucio Fulci. Fulci is so well known for embellishing his own life in his stories, so the star of this film was told that he could "pick which Fulci he wanted to be." From these interviews, he sounds like a fascinating man, part evil genius, part workhorse churning out successful films, part hard-driving director who was known for being hard on his actors.

This is a fascinating look at Fulci's life and his work. There's not much more I can say about this movie, but I recommend you check it out if you're a fan of Italian horror in general and Lucio Fulci in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment