Sunday, October 9, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #42: "47 Meters Down: Uncaged"

I saw the first "47 Meters Down" soon after it came out and it was a decent little shark flick. Back in 2006 I actually drowned and my friend had to pull me out of the water and resuscitate me, so ever since then every movie that features people drowning or almost drowning in water is ten times scarier to me, and there's plenty of underwater peril in that movie, so it scared me. I was hoping for a similar experience with this movie, and today is my unofficial "girl power" day, so I was hoping to continue that trend with this movie. Bring on the sharks!

In this movie, four teenage girls discover that the underground ruins of an ancient Mayan city are also the hunting ground for a group of deadly great white sharks. When their oxygen begins to run out, the girls must navigate the labyrinthine underwater terrain in an effort to survive and find their way out of the underwater hell.

This is one of those "in name only" sequels with none of the same characters returning from the first movie and an only tangentially related plot. Here the similarity seems to end at "aaaaaaa, sharks!" This movie is scary before there are any sharks though. there's a decent jump scare that made me jump and some underwater mayhem that makes you wonder who ties these idiot's shoes for them every day, they're seriously that dumb. Who goes deep sea diving in an underground maze without any idea of how they're going to get out? once I accepted that these nimrod were our main characters, though, they grew on me a little and I started caring what happened to them.

What happened indeed! these poor girls go through the wringer. Not only are there sharks in these waters, but there's a big collapse that seAl's off their exit at one point, and they're in danger of running out of air. Talk about bad luck. I was surprised to see John Corbett show up in this movie as one of the girl's dad. it was nice seeing him, however briefly. there are some brutal shark attacks in this movie too, once it gets going, and I felt for the girls as their air supply dwindled and they faced one natural disaster after another. they may be kind of dumb, but I didn't want to see them die because of it. Overall, this movie takes too long to get going but once it gets going it doesn't let up, and I ended up enjoying it. Remind me never to go cave diving, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment