Thursday, October 6, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #22: "Scream 5"

I remember renting the original Scream on VHS and watching it with my mom and my friend Danielle back in the 90s when it first came out on video. Scream was a big deal when it first came out because it was one of the first self-aware horror movies where the characters are wise to what happens in horror movies and what they have to do to survive in a horror movie. How very 90s of them. I definitely count myself as a fan of the first movie and its subsequent sequels, so I was excited to see this movie when it came out. I finally got a chance to check it out today. Bring on the Screams!

This movie takes place 25 years after the original murders shocked the quiet town of Woodsboro, California. It soon becomes clear that a new killer has donned the iconic Ghostface mask and is committing a string of brutal murders in an effort to resurrect secrets from the town's deadly past.

Damn, but the town of Woodsboro is full of secrets. You'd think after so many years the town would finally run out of deep, deadly secrets, but every time we find one of these new movies we manage to resurrect a whole new slew of dark secrets. I can't help but feel that these movies would never happen if these people would just talk to each other. I have to say though that I'm a sucker for these movies and their hidden drama. I get sucked in every time.

This movie might possibly get a little too contrived with all the plot twists. I had a hard time keeping up with them all and it got a little confusing after awhile trying to keep all the plot twists straight, but there's plenty of mean-spirited gore to keep you entertained too, a surprising amount of which happens in broad daylight in one of the most brutal scenes. Overall this was an enjoyable movie and I'm glad I watched it. Bring on Scream 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment